Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Needlepoint a la Monet


A couple of weeks ago, I received an e-mail from designer Judy Harper.

"I want my new angel to have the look of Monet's garden at Giverny--do you think needle-blending could achieve that?" she asked.

Painting with oils on canvas is one thing; painting on canvas with threads is another. I thought about it awhile and finally told her that needle-blending could possibly be one solution.

"Good," she responded, "I'm sending you the July angel! And while you're at it, would you change the halo to the one like the December angel, get rid of the earrings, and fix the top of the dress?"

So here's little July, sans earrings but with a brand-new halo, which accounts for the white paint on the canvas you can see covering the original design. I'll make a slight revision to the top of the dress later, but first I need to stitch a face so I have someone watching over me as I work!

Judy herself is furiously working on two "ethnic" angels, and you can follow her progress at http://fairy-crafts.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

It will be good to watch this one come to life. Can't wait to see how you stitch the lovely Ms. July.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

She looks much better!! Many thanks for redeeming her. I love sending you what I can't do for myself! I look forward to the stitching.

coral-seas said...

Hmmm, this should be interesting :-)

I have a small 'Monet' project that I've been wanting to do in beads. I've done some 'thinking' and played with some beads but it hasn't made it to the starting gate yet!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you tackle it with thread.

I loved December, by the way :-)