Sunday, October 17, 2010

Always room for one more



Have you ever stopped to think how many painted needlepoint canvas designers there are? Probably as many as there are personal tastes and interests among stitchers! If you've ever looked on eBay under the category "hand painted needlepoint canvas," you'll find it resembles a remake of the classic Clint Eastwood movie The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. But as my sainted Irish grandmother used to say, "One man's pie is another man's poison." Some may be attracted to modern designs with bright colors or trendy themes, whereas I prefer timeless pieces that are well-painted.

So when I visited the website of newcomer Nenah Stone recently--www.nenahsneedle.com--I was enchanted! Painting animals is not my forte, but it certainly is Nenah's. The expressions she achieves on her cats and dogs are amazing. Sensing a fellow dog lover here, I corresponded with Nenah to find out more about her source of inspiration and background. I wasn't at all surprised to learn that she volunteers at an animal shelter and donates a percentage of her sales to it. She's also a member of a pet therapy group which takes dogs to visit at nursing care facilities and hospitals. Add to this the fact that she comes from an artistic family and is a stitcher herself, the result is a line of beautifully executed animal canvases.

I sent Nenah a photo of our own Molly O'Beagle and asked her to see what she could do on canvas. I'm thrilled with her interpretation and look forward to stitching this canvas as my next project!

4 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

Wonderful! As a dog lover, I'll look forward to seeing Molly come to life on canvas. Beautiful canvas!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Nenah is truly delightful- I smile all the way through cruising her web page. The designs have personality and imagination, as well as being beautifully painted and different from the "norm" we see too much of. I'm glad you're doing this, as you are also not a fan of "Goop." I call that "the bad, the ugly, and the worst."

Anonymous said...

I browsed her site as well and loved the kitties since I'm a cat person. Molly will be a fun stitching project. I also love that she i surrounded with shamrocks too. Looking forward to watching this project.

LIZ said...

Wonderful! I can't wait to see what you do with Molly's portrait. I'm a big fan of Nenah's cat designs, being more of a kitty person myself.