Friday, November 5, 2010

Stitching a party dress


A lot of dark green Petite Very Velvet went into Maureen's dress, but it's all done except for the sections that peek through the crocheted lace of her apron.

I then moved on to the top of her apron, for which I already knew I would use white DMC cotton floss. But what stitch to use? The hem of the apron will be quite fancy, so I needed a stitch which would make a subtle statement of its own as well as provide textural contrast against the smooth Petite Very Velvet. I decided on a framed mosaic stitch--small in scale, but which compensates easily as the apron narrows from the bottom to the top.

I have quite an expanse of apron to work on before I can treat myself to the fancy work at the hem, so I'd better get to work!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I like this a lot- I had also envisioned something with texture on the apron, but didn't know which stitch. This stitch looks like pique' to me, so is perfect!

Rachel said...

I agree. Although it makes me think of those all-over broderie anglais fabrics that you can find now!

threadmedley said...

Such a beautiful little colleen!! Her dress is just right and I can't wait to see the apron completed. I love the lacy finish along the bottom and your stitching will really bring it to life.