Friday, February 20, 2009

Biloxi's light still shines


The Biloxi lighthouse is pristine again, using DMC floss for the body of the iron-clad structure in basketweave stitch. In fact, except for the trees and the grass, the entire canvas is stitched in DMC floss.

For the trees, I once again chose Sheep's Silk "Green Leaves," but this time in a diagonal cashmere stitched vertically. I used this thread before for the St. Marks lighthouse, in a Nobuko stitch, and once again it came through with instant shading as well as texture. The grass is stitched in Wildflowers "Jade" in a diagonal mosaic, using two strands. This thread is over-dyed and could lend itself to streaking in a diagonal stitch. But it's also a bit on the thin side, so if you pull two threads from the skein going in opposite directions, you'll have more than adequate coverage on 18 ct. canvas and eliminate streaking at the same time. The over-dye blends into itself and gives a more even appearance.

Next up: a visit from a designer colleague.

2 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Really looking pretty! Jade is my favorite of the Caron overdyes - I use a lot of it in the Watercolours.

Anonymous said...

I love the lighthouses and you ake them so inteesting with the history. I also like your technique for sky blending...I am going to have to ry this soon.