Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another lighthouse finished


The East Chop lighthouse is finished! After needle-blending the sky with DMC floss in basketweave, I finished the tower itself and moved on to the greenery.

To maintain the illusion of fog in the background, I chose a lighter shade of green--Impressions #5061--for the tree on the left, working it in a vertical diagonal cashmere stitch. The deciduous trees on the right were stitched in French knots with Sheep's Silk "Green Leaves," using one strand and one wrap for each knot. The bush in the foreground was also stitched in French knots, this time with Impressions #5000--a darker green--with two strands and one wrap per knot. Using two strands here made the bush look more pronounced, adding to the visual depth of the whole canvas.

The small bush at the right below the water was worked in a simple satin stitch with Silk & Ivory "Ivy." The path around the lighthouse foundation was worked in gobelin stitches with some Matte 18 I found in my stash, and the fence was also worked in gobelin stitches with DMC #5 perle cotton.

The overall effect of this canvas is of a lighthouse captured on a foggy day--just what I was aiming for. Even clear blue skies can get boring after stitching as many lighthouse models as I have!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I like this "foggy day" too - this one really has some character and personality. I can almost feel it. Love the foliage/shrubbery. I'm amazed at what you do in such a small space.

Anonymous said...

Anne, another masterpiece! Thank you for going into detail about the stitches and the different shades of green. It definitely adds to the enjoyment of the finished piece. It feels "cooler" than the others you've done, because of the fog. Perfect!

Love to Stitch 99 said...

I could not agree with you more, Anne, that is exactly the impression that I am getting :-)

Pierrette =^..^=