Friday, May 7, 2010

Grounded and planted!


The Cinco de Mayo party is over for little Pedro the penguin, but he's recovering nicely in his completed habitat!

Using DMC #5 perle cotton #642, I worked the sand in a Nobuko stitch, which is non-directional but provides some texture to this area as well as balancing the light shade of his sombrero.

The cactus on the left was worked in a satin stitch with Silk & Ivory "Guacamole"--how appropriate!--with flowers in French knots of DMC floss #3837. I stitched the cactus on the right the same way, but switched to Silk & Ivory "Dill Pickle" and DMC floss #601. Working each outgrowth of the cacti in segments, the Silk & Ivory provides just the right loft to make them distinct and look more realistic.

5 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

That is some very fine cactus!! I do like the texture of his poncho - great choice of threads. This guy is really cute!!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part is the sombrero. He certainly looks festive and is sure to have enjoyed his holiday.

Cool City Stitcher said...

Very cool! I like the textured stitches, and the way you make them all work so well in a small space.

Pierrette =^..^= said...

My first reaction when I saw little Pedro here was to smile. He is so darn cute (grinning)

Pierrette =^..^=

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

He's cute! LOL!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow