Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Raising the roofs


I'm back in the "paint-by-day, stitch-by-night" mode, but I have made a little progress on the Goat Island lighthouse.

Since the surfaces of the lighthouse tower and attached building are basically smooth, I stitched these areas in basketweave with white DMC floss.

The lantern room of the tower was worked in a combination of tent, satin and gobelin stitches over two threads, using DMC #5 perle cotton #310. The weight of the perle cotton makes this area stand out from the basketweave of the sky.

The roof of the attached building was worked in slanted gobelin stitches over two threads with DMC floss #817. This little red roof really makes the canvas start to come to life! When I finish stitching the tower, I can start adding lights, windows and doors. Now back to painting!

2 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

The little red roof does wake it up! This one is pretty, even though simple. The sky shading is really nice - it's smoother than usual.

Kareen said...

I can't wait to see the lights added on here. I think its really cool how you make the red roof look three dimensional! It's starting to look awesome! :)