Thursday, April 14, 2011

Diamonds without the bling


I've been stitching lots of diamonds the last two nights, but no twinkle here! To keep the argyle mini-sock looking like a real sock, I've raided my stash for several silk/wool blend threads.

First off, I stitched the background behind the name on the cuff with Trio "White" using one ply of the three-ply strand in basketweave. I then moved on to the white diamonds, finishing all of them before treating myself to another color.

The gray diamonds are being stitched in Felicity's Garden "Baby Squirrel." It always seems like a toss-up to me--should I stitch red before dark gray and black or vice versa? Either way, these colors can get pesky about poking their way to the front of the canvas where you definitely don't want to see them!

I'll be back in a couple of days with, hopefully, more progress and more color to show!

4 comments:

Needle Nicely said...

I like how you incorporate the date into the design. It makes a nice visual record. Mary Agnes

coral-seas said...

Ah yes, many years ago I did two cushion covers, a wreath of roses with a creamy white back ground. On the first I did the roses first so I woould not make the white grubby and discovered the hard way why you do pale colours first :-)

Love the stockings.

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the design and the timescale as to whether you do the light or the dark first. I've had success with both.

I do like the progress on this sock, though!

Cool City Stitcher said...

It's looking good.. puts me in the mood for making Christmas things. I like it very much.