Monday, June 3, 2013

Peaceable Kingdom: Finale



Did you ever wake up in the morning and think, "Yes!  This is the day!"?  Despite the weather being rainy and gloomy, that's how I felt--I finally had inspiration to finish the Peaceable Kingdom canvas!

When you're random-stitching over previously worked areas, you really need to see in your mind the effect you want to achieve.  For some strange reason, this morning I finally saw the tall grass I needed to stitch below the field and surrounding the lion.  I'd had the thread for ages: how I needed to stitch it and how far down I needed to go toward the bottom of the canvas suddenly became clear.

Using one strand of Wildflowers "Guacamole," I placed random long stitches in rows overlapping each other.  I didn't want to encroach on the angel or the lion--that would have ruined the perspective of the scene.

So from the painted canvas (photo below), I've created my own stand-up--an angel, lamb and lion in a peaceable setting all my own.

My apologies to a reader some time back, who posed a question several days after my post that I didn't see right away.  The hills in the background, she asked--how did I achieve the dark "points" with the overdyed thread I was using?  Most often I don't, but sometimes I find I need to "manipulate" the thread I'm using.  It's a matter of looking ahead when using overdyed thread--if it starts turning darker or lighter and that shade doesn't suit your needs, end it and begin again.

So now I can return to the Toyland Rocking Horse canvas, and perhaps another, with a clear conscience--this canvas is a wrap!

3 comments:

Needle Nicely said...

This finish was well-worth waiting for! Love the look of the grasses.

Jan said...

This is gorgeous!! And I love the background you created for the piece as well. It really makes a difference in the feel of the overall piece. Super job!

Donna said...

Wonderful what you've done here. I may need to rethink my Fallen Angels trio.