Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Heel, toe, up I go!


When folks start to stitch a canvas, they generally start at the top and work down.  But that practice isn't chiseled in stone--some stitchers start in the middle and work their way out to the sides.  On the Nutcracker/Packages stocking, I started stitching at the bottom where the expanse of solid background is largest.

Three strands of DMC floss 3760 in basketweave covers the canvas nicely and creates a lower profile to highlight decorative stitches which will be placed next to it.

With this much background done, I stitched the face of the smallest nutcracker so I'd have a happy face to look at.  More DMC floss was stitched in basketweave, with the cheeks and nose worked in a satin stitch.  Eyebrows and mustache were created with an interlocking/encroaching Gobelin stitch using some vintage DMC Medici wool.

I've started in on the face of the middle nutcracker, and when it's finished, will probably move around a little using threads from my stash.

1 comment:

Needle Nicely said...

That's a great looking face. Nice padded look for the cheeks.