Friday, November 6, 2009

Establishing a framework


My version of Jan Fitzpatrick's Zellig tile is very different from hers in terms of color: Jan's palette looks like a breath of spring, with soft greens and tans on a marbled canvas, whereas I'm using the jewel tones of an oriental rug.

I started stitching the framework using DMC floss #729--what I'd call an "old gold." To imitate the look of a mosaic tile, both Jan and I are using mosaic stitches as much as possible, and so far, so good!

When I finished up the first skein of gold floss, I treated myself to filling in a little--DMC floss #814, a deep burgundy which will be the darkest shade of red out of three. And I'm happy to report that so far, anyway, all the mosaic stitches are lining up nicely!

Do go visit Jan's blog (www.threadmedley.wordpress.com) to see how dramatically different a design can look in another colorway.

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is truly amazing - I like your colors, too.

Anonymous said...

Looking good Anne! I'm working on the framing as well and will post tomorrow so everyone can see the difference in colors. I'm really enjoying this - seeing two people stitch the same project.

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Love the colors!

This one is also working up quickly! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow