Saturday, November 14, 2009

Final touches on the Zellig tile


With only the center section to go, it took very little time to finish stitching Jan Fitzpatrick's Zellig tile design!

The third and lightest shade of red in the "arrows" and center medallion were stitched with DMC floss #304; the "starburst" was worked with DMC floss #823. With the exception of the brown inner framework, stitched in basketweave, all of the design was executed with mosaic stitches to imitate the look of a mosaic tile.

It's my personal opinion that one of the tests of a good design is its ability to transcend the boundaries of color choices--Jan's design does just that. I chose bold colors, whereas the definitive version Jan is stitching has a much more delicate color palette. Each version works, depending on your taste and color scheme, and the classic lines of the design would fit in well with virtually any decorating style.

Thanks, Jan, for the opportunity to stitch this one--it was great fun! Now I can sit back and watch Jan's interpretation at www.threadmedley.wordpress.com.

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I really like this - and your colors. It has the "look" of the original tile, but yet is truly an adaptation rather than "imitation." It's interesting what a difference the colors make in yours and Jan's versions.

Anonymous said...

Lovely classic colors. This turned out beautifully! I'm glad you enjoyed stitching this Anne. The changing of colors is one reason I like charted designs so much. I can pick the colors and threads I want for a particular person or a room in my home. I know you love blue so this probably works wells for your home. Thank you for showing everyone what changes in color can do for a design.

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Wonderful color and stitch selections!

I really like this especially as I like the colors that you used. :-)

Now to go get caught up with Jan's blog to see what she is doing.

Cynthia
Windy Meadow