Saturday, October 30, 2010

The eyes have it


The Molly O'Beagle canvas by Nenah Stone is finished!

By the time I completed stitching on the beagle, I had used six different shades of brown Burmilana thread. For some areas, I used two strands of one color; for other sections, I combined one strand of two different colors to needle-blend the shading.

I love the expressive eyes that Nenah painted. I first outlined them in the darkest brown, then filled in with white, black and a warmer brown with the whites of the eyes actually a pale yellow DMC floss.

I'd never stitched an animal this size before, and I found it to be quite challenging but rewarding. My thanks to Nenah for doing such a great job helping little Molly come to life! After the weekend, I'll start a new project--one with a human form!

5 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Molly is beautiful! It's unusual to be able to get such feeling and personality into such a small piece - kudos to you and to Nenah!!Your stitching, as always, is lovely.

Anonymous said...

That's one very sweet-natured looking animal - well done to you both!

Cool City Stitcher said...

Great job with your color blending! I love the design, with Molly among the shamrocks.

LIZ said...

Molly is just wonderful! The color blending is inspired & the shamrocks are just perfect! Great job - don't know how you managed in such a small space!

Anonymous said...

Molly looks so gentle and loving. The painting and stitching both are superb! I too always marvel that you can get so much detail into such small canvases. Terrific job!