Monday, December 28, 2009

Ending the year in Australia


Macquarie Lightstation is finished well before New Year's Eve!

I finished the tower itself, working the dome in the foreground in a satin stitch with white DMC cotton floss. Underneath the dome, the two rows of molding were formed with gobelin stitches over two threads. The ornament on top of the dome was stitched with an oblong cross stitch vertically, followed by another oblong cross stitched horizontally on top of the first.

I then added shading with DMC ecru floss and windows worked in a spring stitch with DMC floss #318. The weather vane, railing and fence in front of the lighthouse all used black DMC rayon floss to add a bit of shine without the glint of a metallic thread.

The roof of the cottage to the left of the lighthouse was worked in a slanted gobelin stitch over four threads with DMC floss #838. The foundation of the lighthouse was stitched with DMC floss #414, and grass was added with Sheep's Silk "Green Leaves Dark."

All that remained was the tree, which I had thought to be a deciduous variety. Luckily, before I French-knotted myself into deep trouble, both DH and Judy Harper set me straight that it was a pine tree--specifically, a Norfolk pine from Norfolk Island off the east coast of Australia. So I stitched it with Impressions "Pine Forest," in slanted long stitches following the direction the branches were growing and turning my canvas 90 degrees where necessary. The trunk was formed in tent stitches with Felicity's Garden "Fawn."

Macquarie Lightstation makes the twelfth lighthouse I've adapted to needlepoint and stitched in 2009--not too shabby for a year's work! Only twelve more to go, and I'll hit 100!

2 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is a beautiful lighthouse! Your stitching really brings it to life on a small scale. It does feel good to find I actually knew something you didn't. LOL (re: the Norfolk pine)

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

I don't check in for a few days and find that you've finished another lighthouse! Wow!!!

I really like this one and the weathervane on top is a fun touch. You don't see them on many lighthouses. :-)

Hope you are staying warm up there. All of our snow dissapeared this past weekend with the warmer temperatures though it did take about 2 days for 17" of snow to melt. Now it's freezing!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow