Friday, December 18, 2009

One week 'til Mele Kalikimaka


The best of intentions tend to get knocked into a cocked hat at this time of year! Under normal circumstances, I would have finished needle-blending the sky on the Port Dalhousie lighthouse days ago--but I'm still slogging away. With only one week until Christmas Day, I thought this might be a good time to wish a Happy Holidays to my friends and readers in Hawaii.

This little mini-sock design, Mele Kalikimaka--Merry Christmas in Hawaiian--is based on the gorgeous quilt designs that Hawaiians have created over the years. The floral framework was satin-stitched in Trio "Really Red" for the flowers and Petite Very Velvet in tent stitch for the leaves. The "quilted" sections are framed Scotch stitches worked in white DMC cotton floss.

It's a pretty simple combination of threads and stitches, really, but I think it's effective when worked in the traditional colors of the season!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a simple, but beautiful design! Thank you for sharing it. Hawaiian quilts - another thing I want to adapt to needlepoint someday.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I missed this one - LOVE it. My daughter's sister-in-law is Hawaiian, but they are Jewish. (convert) She'd love it anyway.

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Love the stocking!

Heard the song while I was out running around yesterday getting groceries before the big snow storm. We have over 15" here now and it might end up being over 20". LOL!!!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow