Saturday, December 26, 2009

Halfway there


Poor Macquarie Lightstation! For days I've been picking it up, stitching a little bit, then putting it down to attend to holiday chores. When I finally had a minute to take a photo today, I realized it was a little more than half finished!

The tower itself was stitched with white DMC cotton floss, mostly in basketweave with a few decorative stitches for architectural elements--satin stitch for the dome of the lantern room, gobelin stitches over two threads for the foundation of the railing and the molding underneath it.

The sky is in the process of needle-blending and it, too, is almost finished! I began at the top with four plies of DMC floss #597, then added DMC #598 and 3811 in a 3/1, 2/2, 1/3 combination of plies. I'm currently at two plies of DMC #598 and two plies of DMC #3811--I'll finish off the left side with one ply of DMC #598 and three plies of #3811, and end the right side with four plies of #3811.

When I've finished stitching the lighthouse itself, I can complete the sky and then add the shading as well as the weather vane and railing.

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I like this one - the weathervane is nice! Is that a Norfolk pine beside it?? I think those came from Norfolk Island, which is gorgeous, but began life as a penal colony of the worst sort.

Anne Stradal said...

The tree is deciduous--not sure what type.

Anonymous said...

You're moving along quickly on this one, even if you don't realize how far you've gotten yet. I agree with Judy about the weather vane. I don't think I've ever seen one on a lighthouse before. There are a lot of different personalities in these lighthouses.