Monday, March 1, 2010

Pretty in pink


I started out stitching the little clown canvas with--as usual--the background, using DMC floss #963 in basketweave. It's a good thing I'm very fond of pink, since there's a fair amount of background to this piece. The stripes in this design, however, serve several purposes: not only do they add a little extra color and tie in with the pattern on the clown's jumpsuit, they also break the background down into smaller, less intimidating areas to stitch.

When I felt I'd made sufficient progress on the background, I moved on to the clown's face--I like to work this area early on so I have someone or something smiling back at me as I continue to stitch! The "skin" portion of the clown's wig and most of his face were stitched with DMC floss in basketweave while the cheeks were worked in a satin stitch. The nose was stitched first in a Leviathan variation, ending with vertical long stitches on top.

As I finished stitching the various elements of his face, I ended off the needleful of thread by filling in a few of the stripes above the clown's head. Tonight I'll resume stitching on the background and treat myself to working a little more on the clown himself.

2 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

The background brings it to life - and I love the nose! Very clever.

Edy said...

So Sweet!