Monday, March 29, 2010

A very good choice


With only the trees and grass remaining to be stitched on the Seul Choix Point lighthouse canvas, it was easy to finish this project over the weekend.

For the trees, I was looking for a stitch which would provide a little texture and a thread which would provide a fairly low profile so as to not overwhelm the buildings in front of them. I used one strand of Impressions #5061 in a diagonal vertical oblong cross stitch--a very long name for a very simple stitch! Impressions is one of the thinner silk/wool blends, but when stitched over a canvas painted the same dark green, covers very nicely.

In order to accentuate the height of the lighthouse itself, my design area for the grass is only four threads deep. I still wanted a little texture here, so I used Sheep's Silk "Green Leaves Dark" in a diagonal mosaic stitch.

Many thanks to my Michigan reader for tipping me off to the existence of this lighthouse--it was a fun stitch! My next project is ready to go and I hope to work it in a "timely" fashion!

UPDATE: I just received this e-mail from my Michigan reader, who was unable to post this and asked that I do it for her:

When I asked Anne to consider adding the Seul Choix Lighthouse to her collection of Michigan Lights, I hoped "my only choice" would become a needlepoint treasure to stitch. It surely has become that, and Anne did a marvelous job researching the light's history as well (even telling of its haunting!). Now I can't wait to add the canvas to my own collection, a piece that will promise to "light" my memories of a most special place. Thank you, Anne, it's a "keeper"!--Noel Horn

Thank you, Noel--and let's hear from others out there who'd like to see their special lighthouse adapted to needlepoint!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Such a pretty lighthouse! Well done, again. I can't wait to see the project done "in timely fashion." LOL Anyway - this lighthouse is a splendid addition to the collection - glad your Michigan person told you about it.

Anonymous said...

Another beauty Anne! I'm always amazed at how many details you can include in a small canvas. I'm glad your Michigan reader loves it too.

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Very pretty and I love the red roof!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow